Footprint Analysis for Comparative Study of Populations
Volume: 5 Issue: 1
Year of Publication: 2018
Authors: Aayush Dhunna, Uttam Singh, Dr. Priyanka Verma, Nidhi
In the past many studies have been conducted to estimate age, sex, stature, etc. of an individual from footprints. Footprint is one important evidence which cannot be erased completely since "it needs
to go somewhere to do something". In present study, inked footprints of the individuals of Himachal Pradesh and Delhi were studied to get an idea of the basic differences between the footprints of the two communities. Measurements of various angles and lengths were performed using protectors and scales. Various parameters were set and analyzed. It was observed that parameters foot breadth, foot length, alpha angle, etc. gave good significant results whereas first toe length,phalange marks and foot index, etc. gave non- significant results when the two populations were compared. Various statistical formulas were applied and it was observed that, 11 out of 25 parameters gave significant results. This study suggests that using these 11 significant parameters, an expert can get an estimate of whether the footprint found at any crime scene belongs to Delhi population or Himachal Pradesh population.
- TNMoorthy,SFB Sulaiman. Individualizing characteristics of footprints in Malaysian Malays for person identification from a forensic perspective. Egyptian Journal of Forensic Science, 5(1), pp 13-22, 2015
- TNMoorthy, AMBMostapa, RBoominathan, NRaman. Stature estimation from footprint measurement in Indian Tamils by regression analysis. Egyptian Journal of Forensic Science, 4(1), pp 7-16, 2014.
- SReel, SRouse,W Vernon, PDoherty.Estimation of stature from static and dynamic footprints .Forensic Science International, 219(1-3), pp 283, 2011.
- TKanchan. Individuality of footprints- forensic implications. Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine, 30(4), pp281, 2008.
- PRCavanagh, MM Rodgers The arch index: A useful measure from footprints. Journal of Biomechanics, 20(5), pp 547-551, 1987.
- HRoy, KBhattacharya, SDeb, KRay. Arch Index: An easier approach for arch height (a regression analysis). Al Ameen. Journal of Medical Sciences, 5(2), pp 137-146, 2012.
- TBGrivas, CMihas, AArapaki, EVasiliadis. Correlation of foot length with height and weight in school age children.Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, 15, pp 89-95, 2008.
- P Mahakkanukrauh, P Khanpetch, SPrasitwattanseree,K Vichairat,DT Case. Stature estimation from long bone lengths in a Thai population. Forensic Science International, 210, pp 279, 2011.
- T Kanchan,RG Menezes,R Moudgil,R kaur,MS Kotian,RK Garg. Stature estimation from foot dimensions. Forensic Science International, 179, pp 241, 2008.
- RSMarko,A Dubey, SShrivastava. To compare reliability and accuracy of foot length and hand length in estimation of stature in North Indian adults. Journal of Evolution of Medicinal Dental Sciences, 3(26), pp 7290-7295, 2014.
- LM Robbins. Estimating height and weight from size of footprints. Journal of Forensic Science, 31(1), pp 143-152, 1986.
- IAFawzy,NN Kamal. Stature and body weight estimation from various footprint measurements among Egyptian population. Journal of Forensic Science, 55(4), pp 884-888, 2010.
- TN Moorthy,AMB Mostapa, RBoominathan,N Raman. Stature estimation from footprint measurement in Indian Tamils by regression analysis. Egyptian Journal of Forensic Science, 4(1), pp 7-16, 2014.
- DVOberoi,A Kuruvilla,KM Saralaya,A Rajeev,B Ashok,KR Nagesh,NG Ra. Estimation of Stature and sex from footprint length using regression formulae and standard foot print length formulae respectively. Journal of Punjab Academy of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, 6, 2006.
- DAtamturk.Estimation of sex from the dimensions of foot, footprint and shoe. Journal of Biological and Clinical Anthropology, 68(1), pp 21-29, 2010.
- JKAbledu, GKAbledu, EBOffei,EM Antwi. Determination of sex from footprint dimension in a Ghanian Population. PLOS ONE, open access journal, 10(10), 2015.
- UUUkoha,E Ogugua, EMG Chidoziel,AA Ebelenna1,EO Chiedu1,N Henry, UKEmmanuel. Estimation of Stature using footprints in an adult student population in Nigeria. International Journal of Biomedical Research, 4, pp 827-833, 2013.
- H Deepashini, B Omar, A Paungmali, NAmaramalar,H Ohnmar,J Leonard. An insight into the plantar pressure distribution of the foot in clinical practice: Narrative review. Polish Annals of Medicine. Polish Pediatric Society, 21, pp 51-56, 2014.
- Principles of Trace Evidence. A simplified guide to trace evidence. 2013 http://www.forensicsciencesimplified.org/statement.html
- BYSTsung,M Zhang,YB Fan, DA Boone. Quantitative comparison of plantar foot shapes under different weight-bearing conditions. Journal of Rehabilitaion Research and Development, 40, pp 517, 2003.
- JLPrabha,R Thenmozhi. A short review on dermatoglyphics. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science andReseaarch 64(4), pp 200-202, 2014.
- SWalia,BS Modi, NPuri. Sexual dimorphism from foot dimensions and footprints in Haryanvi Jat Population. International Journal ofAnatomy and Research, 4(1), pp 2142-2147, 2016.
- RKShukla, ALodha,S Das. Stature estimation from footprint:A study on Central Indian Population. European Journal of Forensic Science, 4(2), 2017.
Forensic Science, Anthropometry, Stature, Region.